Thursday, April 08, 2010

Immigration Miracle

We changed Marie's name from Asnakech to Marie Asnakech after we adopted her. Unfortunately I did this AFTER applying for her citizenship card which was my bad. So, we had one set of documentation that had one name and another that had the other name. Under normal circumstances this would be fine, however since we are crossing many borders soon with our big move to Tanzania, I thought it would make life way simpler to have just one name for the child that looks nothing like her parents (especially travelling in countries where adoption is an unheard of concept). I called immigration and asked how long this would take. I was told that it would be 10 months to a year... not good news since we were leaving in 8. I asked if they could expidite the process and was told that unless someone was dying, there was no way... The trouble is that I had to send back her first immigration card and run the risk of having none. GULP. I wrote a letter and with great treppidition put that and the card in the mail. A month and a half later, I had the new card in my hands with the correct information!!!! The funny part is that two days later I received a letter from CIC stating that they had received my application and would process it in the next ten months! I laughed with tears of relief streaming down my face. I really think they have no idea what they put us through, but am grateful none the less for Marie's paperwork to FINALLY all be in order. :-)

2 comments:

BCMommy said...

You are moving to Tanzania!?? Woah, I must have missed something somewhere! Do tell! What will you be doing there? That's so exciting!!!!

Claire

DTE April 2009
Waiting on a daughter age 0- 3.5

jeremy and leah said...

you can check out THAT adventure here: krahniclesinafrica.blogspot.com

:-)

We have been accepted with Africa Inland Mission to work with the Digo in Tanzania for a three year term. We will mostly be doing community development.