Friday, March 21, 2008

March 5 2008 (written by Jeremy)

I'm still recovering from jet-lag and am wide awake at 4:30 am at GMT +3. We're expecting to travel to Kembata today, perhaps as early as noon. I am looking forward to the trip to see more of the country than just the capital city. From what I understand, modernization and industrialization are still very centered in the major urban centersand haven't yet reached the rural populations. It will be interesting to see what Durame is like compared to what we've seen so far in Addis. I've noted how people are quite friendly here and are willing to talk to one another. Mesfin was waiting for traffic to move and while waiting, chatted with the traffic controller. I also saw another vehicle ahead of us later on, the driver was chatting with the occupants of the next vehicle. People also seem to be willing and happy to talk to us, quite often in English.

No comments: