Thursday, June 28, 2007

Home Study Update

Because we moved and it had been over a year since our first homestudy was completed, we needed to get our homestudy updated (for another $250). This is a requirement of the Canadian government, not the Ethiopian government. I was really not looking forward to this process as we are (still) in the middle of renovating and with school ending and my brother's wedding coming up we have been really busy. It actually proved to be less onerous than I thought it would be with most of it done over the phone. I have been really impressed with our social worker. She is very considerate and seems to care very much for the kids and the family. So wheh. That's done and we shouldn't need another one now unless things drag on for another year... (yes I am feeling pessimistic). I have been spending some time looking for kids books either taking place in Ethiopia, or about Ethiopia. Our local library and bookstores have had little to no selection. So far I have found: A Saint and His Lion (chapters.ca) Daughters of the Ark ((chapters.ca) intended for much older children The Story of Coffee (bought at an Ethiopian restaurant in Vancouver)

If anyone runs across others, let me know.

I also ordered an Amharic phrase book and a book on Ehtiopian history (stay tuned for my reviews).

Below are some amharic words and phrases that I am going to try to master...

Father --Abutfaza Mother --Anutmaza Are you hungry?--Erabish? What do you want?--Mintifaligalish I don’t understand--Algabanim Be careful--Tinkuk Thank you--Amisigenalo Excuse me - sorry--Ekurta Okay--Ishi Don’t do that--Imbe No--Aye Yes--Owe Wait--Coy Go--Mohate Come --Masculine) Na (Feminine) Nay Good-- Turu Enough-- Betkau Tired--Dakomish Sleep time-- Tyna Water-- Waha Milk-- Wattat Food-- Megab Eat-- Be Hot--Mukat Toilet-- Shintibate Urination--Shinti Shoes-- Chama Beautiful--Konjoi Good girl--Turriush Sit Down--Koochby Keep quiet-- Oush Finish-- Charush You want…--Tufaligalish Home--Abait

No comments: